AMBER ALERTS

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Are Americans Closet Racists?


Klu Klux Klan march in 1920/ photo historycoopertive.com

Every day I spend time browsing several news sights from all over the nation and the world, and though I've noticed this before, it really stuck me today.  Out in public racism may seem to be dyeing down from what it used to be years ago but as I was reading the story about the five motorcyclist who where killed in a auto/motorcycle accident today it dawned on me that in private racism may be worse than it was 20 years ago.

Everyone knows now when you go on news sites such as CNN, Fox News and even many of the local news web sights now, you can log on either anonymously or if you are someone who isn't afraid to voice your opinion and stand up for it too, you can log in using your real name and leave a comment about the particular news story that interests you.

What struck me today was how so many of the comments left are racist and of course they hide behind false names or just log in as guest, if you want a example you can look at the web page that I was looking at today regarding the accident and see the remarks I'm talking about at http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=13498402 

I just know this kind of cowardice really makes me feel sick that this day and age there are still people out there who act like the United States is stuck in the past, how for the most part publicly Americans portray themselves one way and in private can be raciest jerks. I am in no way trying to say the majority of us are like people you see posting these horrible remarks in the comments sections, but it is this small group of people who prevent our country from being what it could be, we could be a people that could shine as an example for those countries where genocide is a daily occurrence. No wonder the United States rarely if ever intervenes in places like Rwanda and The Congo.

It's time for this small minority of Americans to grow up and join the 21st century with the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment